Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The Mutants Have Arrived


Really weird looking, eh?  I'm not quite sure what to make of them.  These are on the Black Krim parent plant. These are the exception, thankfully. But I've also noticed a couple of similar shaped tomatoes (although not as extreme) on the Lemon Boy. I wonder if there's some peculiar aberration with the pollination going on.

At least they're not growing any eyes in those sockets, like this:



I have one peculiar looking tomato like this on the Black Krim seedling, but it looks like the others are mostly normal. Incidentally, that seedling (now BK#2 plant) is going gang busters with fruits. Amazing what a difference my chances made (potting mix instead of top soil, plenty of fertilizer up front, and a modified SWC for better wick action through the mix).





There's currently 12 fruits going on this seedling, although a couple look a bit mutant like. Also, the bottom ends on a few have black spots which... I'm hoping does not turn into BER (blossom end rot).


Speaking of BER, the parent Black Krim plant is suffering from it on two tomatoes. The typical culprit is calcium depletion, so I've added my pulverized eggshells to my watering regimen in hopes of curing it. Otherwise, this plant has now reached over 6' tall (including the pot), with some fruits above eye level.  Pretty wild. I never expected it would grow this tall in that puny 6 gallon container.





I've counted 19 fruits in various stages of growth on the parent plant... as though it were trying to make up for lost time. I'm kicking myself for not fertilizing enough earlier on... but that's "water under the bridge". Unfortunately a few are exhibiting some unwanted characteristics like black speckles and some deeper spotting that is reminiscent of BER... although not specifically focused on the center of the bottom (as is typical with BER). I'm hoping the natural calcium infusion will resolve this affliction and that it will remain isolated to just a couple of fruits.


4 comments:

  1. Please do not kick yourself .... won't help the plants and you'll only bruise yourself.. :)

    The spots look like normal coloring process, nothing like BER.
    Congrats for the plentiful harvest!
    I'll pick one giant tomorrow, before it'll turn too ripe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehee... you're right about the bruising.
    ;-)

    Sorry, I wasn't meaning the little black specks seen in the photos. I have a photo example coming up in my next post that shows what I mean. The BER didn't start at the very bottom; it was off to the sides and then progressed to the bottom. A couple of others have shown much smaller examples of this, but I'm thinking that it might be due more to rubbing up against a support.

    How did the giant tomato turn out? Is it also a BK, or a different variety?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my plants are all BK... the first ones have been harvested and eaten with gusto! This variety has to be eaten half green, then it's at its finest. Never a supermarket variety again. even in wintertime, blahhh.

    Sorry you got BER. You can always enjoy the remaining part as a gried freen tomato, sauteed in butter or olive oil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Half green... never thought to eat one that early. Do you still get a smoky essence to the flavor? In my experience, I've found that the fruit needs to ripen for a time off the vine to help bring the smoky flavor forward.

    Yeah, I was a bit surprised I got BER as it didn't happen with any of the fruit early on. The only coincident factor I can think of is that there's a lot of fruit growing at the moment... and perhaps the water demand being so high is making BER more likely. I've also heard that with a given variety not all seeds are created equal. Some may have inherent qualities that are more resistant to BER over other strains.

    In any case, the 2nd BK plant I have going is in a potting medium and despite the reservoir having run dry a few days ago and then refilled, I've not seen any BER forming (fingers crossed).

    ReplyDelete