Friday, May 30, 2014

Big seedlings, ready for the big pots

My approach this year was rather simple.  I used soil-less potting mix for plants with a little fertilizer mixed in. My choice was Jobe's Organic Tomato Fertilizer.  It seemed to have just about everything I needed.  I've read up on all of these techniques people use, with so many different types of fertilizers and additional minerals to include Azomite powder.  Is it overkill?  Maybe... Or perhaps it makes sense if growing a lot of tomato plants.  With my intention to have just 5 altogether, I couldn't see the merit of spending all that money on what might only give me a 10~20% boost in productivity.  I did learn quite a bit from last year.  NO SOIL.  Only potting mix.  And, I started with Jobe's fertilizer right off the bat.

My seedlings took off.  Lots of good weather and also good timing on bringing my plants inside before torrential rainfalls or very chilly nights helped them out quite a bit.

A Variety of Tomato Plants

Russian Oxheart

Sara's Galapagos

And just about a week later, you could see a measurable improvement:

Black Krim in mini Sub Irrigated Pot

Sara's Galapagos


I'm hopeful this will be a really good growing season.  I'm definitely looking forward to the variety of heirlooms I chose this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment