Thursday, July 11, 2013

First Tomatoes

Well, I've finally got some serious blushing going on with two tomatoes--one Black Krim and the other Lemon Boy.  I'm just a little disappointed that the first Black Krim has turned out so small.  It's actually smaller than a tennis ball!  So much for an 8-10oz beefsteak tomato. But I can't be too hard on it. This is my first attempt and my container size is probably limiting. I'm providing water and nutrients more frequently so my hope is that the subsequent tomatoes will be larger.

Early Black Krim
Black Krim -- a bit small!

Meanwhile, the Lemon Boy is nicely on target.  This variety is known for small to medium sized tomatoes, so  mine are looking about normal.  One is already bright yellow while its sister is a pale yellow with a cluster of green ones hanging behind.

Lemon Boy -- Bright Yellow!
Lemon Boy -- Nearly Ripe
Lemon Boy -- Green Cluster

I'm really curious to see how the cycle repeats. Presently there are about 6-8 flowers that I'm trying to get pollinated. There are a couple of buds but they're starting to look a little soft, like they may drop. It might just be one of those things where after harvesting a fruit, the plant will eventually sense the loss and divert energy to new blossoms and fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment