Monday, July 15, 2013

Here They Come

After enjoying the first two Lemon Boy tomatoes, I figured it would be about another week before the next ones would ripen. I'd had a few successful pollinated flowers that started to show fruit and a few other blossoms that may have set. The chain has started and I'm looking forward to sharing my tomatoes with friends.  :-)

Lemon Boy -- Bearing More Fruit


But my chief concern has been with the Black Krim. When the first tomato was plucked, there was barely the sign of newly set fruit. Knowing how one previous fruit was aborted, I wouldn't feel confident until the plant showed some commitment. And indeed it has. Two nice little green pearls have shown themselves. A few flowers look like they may have set, but the upcoming heatwave delivering above 90F temperatures for over 4 days in a row will be a major test. The pollinated blossoms could be easily dropped.

Black Krim -- The Second Tomato

As you can see in the photo above, this plant has had some struggles. The truss suffered 3 abortions, leaving one lone tomato to brave the future. The same thing happened in the first run. Hopefully this time the tomato will grow larger.

The Third Fruit, and Hopefully With Truss Companions

This tomato has 2 potential companions. The truss is nice and thick, so maybe there will be enough nutrients to enable a cluster of 3 to grow on it. Fingers crossed!

Meanwhile, I've been reading up on Tomatoville and seeing some people further down in Maryland, North Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida with some terrific clusters of tomatoes going. In comparison I'm a major novice, but I'm confident with all I've learned so far that the next growing season will be more abundant with tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment