Monday, July 29, 2013

Growing from seeds - container idea


Next year, I plan to start most of my tomato plants from seeds. This will be a new experience for me so to hedge my chances I'll be trying a few varieties. I bought the Sara Galapagos and Russian Oxheart 117 from Gary Pilarchik, and he threw in the Black Plum as a gift. Rather than having a bunch of envelopes to keep track of, I put the seeds in a weekly pill dispenser ($1.50 at Walgreens). I think it works well, as they're of a decent size and there's still room to write down the variety on the outside. Naturally, I'll tuck this inside an opaque plastic bag to protect the seeds from light exposure.  If I end up with more than 7 varieties of seeds, I could just buy another container, but I may create a partition in each compartment so that two different seed sets can be stored in each day slot.

FYI, if you're interested in how to prepare tomato seeds from picked fruit for growing next year, visit Tatiana's Tomatobase for helpful instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment