Tuesday, July 9, 2013

More tomatoes

At this point, the Lemon Boy has 4 very obvious tomatoes plus one about the size of a huge blueberry. It also looks like one or two other blossoms have fertilized, but I won't know for sure until another week. Overall, I'm rather satisfied with how well this plant is doing, especially since it didn't get started under ideal conditions (my biggest mistake being top soil instead of potting mix).

Lemon Boy - 10 weeks

Lemon Boy - 10 weeks

The Black Krim has gone quite a few weeks with just one tomato and many blossom drops. But finally... FINALLY there are signs that some of the blossoms may have fertilized. At the moment, it looks like 3 could become tomatoes, and possibly a 4th.  The existing tomato hasn't been increasing in size much and is starting to show some color change, so I think this size is pretty much it. It surprises me, because being the lone tomato for over 5 weeks, you'd think that it would enjoy more nutrients and grow larger. I'll have to read up on techniques to help encourage larger fruit growth, so that the others won't be as small. I strongly suspect it's an issue of not fertilizing enough.

Black Krim - 10 weeks

OK, so I browsed around the Internet and also checked out the TomatoVille forums, and I'm almost certain now that I've not been providing enough fertilizer to the plants. My fear of adding too much nitrogen caused me to cut back a little too much. I have a liquid fertilizer on hand that is "2-1-2", meant for orchids.  So that means 10-5-10, which is about in line with at least one tomato fertilizer I've seen referenced. I've already added some during the last watering and going forward I'll pick up some fertilizer meant specifically for tomato plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment